- Physicist and Radiochemist (Diploma and Doctorate at the University of Mainz and U.Washington, Seatte).
- 1999-2012 KIT, Karlsruhe, Institute for Nuclear Waste Management
- Since 2012 Leibniz University Hannover, Head of the Institute for Radioecology and Radiation Protection
- Since 2019 Dean of the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics
- Research and teaching: radiation protection, radioecology, radiochemistry, radioanalytics, development of mass spectrometric and laser spectroscopic ultratrace analysis. Harmonization of radiochemistry education at European level. Development of e-learning tools
- Member of the Radiation Protection Commission (SSK) of the BMU, Chair of the Radioecology Committee.
- Head of the Nuclear Chemistry Division of the Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker (German Chemical Society)
- Chairman of the Competence Network Radiation Research (KVSF)
- Chairman of the NRC network