- Mathematician (diploma and doctorate at TU Bergakademie Freiberg)
- 1989-1991 Institute for Energetics Leipzig
- 1991-2007 Gesellschaft für Anlagen- und Reaktorsicherheit (GRS) gGmbH Cologne: departmental research and consulting for the Federal Ministry of the Environment on radioactive waste management
- since 2007 Professor for Repository Systems at Clausthal University of Technology Research and teaching: safety analysis, interfaces of technical and non-technical aspects in radioactive waste management, disposal strategies, repository concepts
- Member of the Disposal Commission (ESK) of BMUB and the Integration Group for the Safety Case (IGSC) of OECD/NEA (Chair 2010-2015)
- Chairman of the German Working Group on Repository Research (DAEF, since 2019)
- Consulting work for French, Swedish and Swiss authorities.